Traveling Cleverly Since 2001

on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 | 1 comments
As 2011 is quickly ticking away its final hours, it's occurred to me that a lot has happened this year. I have: (i) changed jobs, (ii) gone on two "adult" trips, (iii) gotten pregnant, (iv) survived a 20 person family beach trip, (v) dealt with an exhausting pregnancy, (vi) had a baby, (vii) had surgery (see "had a baby") and a whole bunch of other cool crap I've forgotten about. Frankly, I'm spent. And now I'm back to work full-time. Lord have mercy.

On the travel front, I believe I hit six new countries this year. Not bad for a pregnant mommy, eh? Okay, okay, five of them were cruise ports, but still! Five places I'd never been, and five new adventures. I went to St. Croix, Dominica, St. Kitts, Grenada, Tobago and Bermuda. Are you sensing a theme? I might like beaches. I'm not sure.

When I think about 2012, I want the courage to travel more with my kids. I think I don't give my oldest son enough credit. I worry about how every new environment, scenario and stage of life will affect him. He seems to roll with the punches. He's starting a new school on January 3rd. He's been at the same place since he was 12 weeks old, and I am sick for him. I don't want him to be scared or confused. But I guess those things will happen regardless of what I do, right?

We are taking the kids to Isla Mujeres in May for a family wedding, so that'll be our first official "fancy" vacation adventure with two little ones in tow. I've got, like, four months to plan. That *should* be sufficient. If not, I'll just ask our relatives to push back the wedding.

Here's my favorite travel picture of me from this year, taken as we departed St. Kitts. I only wish I had a trip like this coming up again this winter... and that I could fit into that dress right now.

1 comments:

Post a Comment