Traveling Cleverly Since 2001

on Thursday, May 19, 2011 | 0 comments
Besides dreaming of beaches and searching for pink hotels in Bermuda, I've been busy with some other stuff. Like growing a new human, taking care of the little life we have in our hands and, oh yeah, work. Always with the work.

In the middle though, I've managed to devote some time to learning more about good nutrition. I've always liked to eat healthy, but like a lot of people, I'm rather up and down in my habits. I tend to be "all or nothing," when I need to take a more moderate approach and strive to do the best I can at all times, even if I'm not perfect.

I'm re-reading the Omnivore's Dilemma, which if you haven't read, I highly suggest. I'm also taking some tips from a really great cookbook/cooking guide called Nourishing Traditions. Please ignore the cheesy cover and horrible author picture. The book is chock full of good information about WHY you should make things like stocks, beans and dressings from scratch and avoid canned goods like the plague. Oh, and she explains why eating animal FAT is actually good for you. Yay!

At this very moment, I have a chicken stock cooking in my slow cooker at home and black beans soaking on my kitchen counter. If I can find some time to do this sort of thing from scratch, so can you. It's actually kind of fun and doesn't take as long as you think, just some forethought (the horror!).

0 comments:

Post a Comment