Traveling Cleverly Since 2001

on Monday, June 20, 2011 | 0 comments
Before I had a child, I thought that people who stopped or severely scaled back traveling after having kids were just lazy, unorganized or unadventurous. Very judge-y of me, eh? After living the last 18 months with my own "angel" a/k/a "tyrant," I now get it a bit more. Don't get me wrong, I still want to travel and experience, but alas, reality has set in.

Truth is, traveling with a child is work. It's not a vacation. It's not impossible, but you have to plan a bit more. It also helps to have pockets lined with gold. Here are some things I've learned over the past 18 months:

1. Babies don't like heat and humidity. The Caribbean in September is a bad idea until your child is able and willing to spend all day in the water.
2. Always know where the nearest hospital or clinic is located.
3. Babies may not like water until they are over 1. Those floats for infants? Half of them hate it.
4. Plan to do only half of what you would normally do.
5. Stay in the nicest place you can afford and cut back elsewhere. During naptime, it helps to have a great pool to hang out in or a great view to admire (see: pockets lined with gold).
6. Cook in a lot of your meals - it's easier and your baby will eat that way.
7. Babysitters and awesome mothers/mother-in-law's can be your savior. If you can afford it, take someone with you so you get to sleep in a couple of mornings and go out and have some couple time (see: pockets lined with gold).

I know it won't be this way forever. By the time our kids reach 3 and 5, I feel that traveling will be easier. We won't require as much help and everyone will be sleeping a lot more regularly. The next three years our family vacays will be costly, and thus fewer. However, we plan to stay longer each time and just commit to fewer adventures for the time being. Ultimately, it's a price I'm willing (and happy) to pay. When Wee Nomad leans over in the morning and plants a kiss squarely on my mouth, I melt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment